Published on February 2nd, 2012 | by Tom Wake0
7 weird and wonderful uses for petroleum jelly
Most of us use it to stave off chapped lips, but there are a number of other little known uses for this mysterious ointment.
Here are 7 of my favourites:
1. Make your aftershave or perfume last longer: Dab some Vaseline on your wrists or neck before you spray and the scent will last longer.
2. Stop your doors from creaking: Apply to the hinges of your door and it should stop it from groaning.
3. Help ‘fix up’ dry skin: Perfect for fingernail biters or anyone who suffers from dry skin or shaving rash. Rub in to the affected area to help soothe and moisturise the skin.
BONUS TIP: Ladies – put it in the freezer for 3 or 4 minutes before applying for a ‘Hollywood glow’.
4. Fix leaking pipes (temporarily)! If one of your pipes has sprung a leak and you need a temporary fix while you wait for the plumber to come round, apply a large amount to the gap and then quickly wind duct tape around it to stem the flow.
5. Got a ring stuck on your finger? Apply some Vaseline onto your finger and gently ease the ring back and forth in a twisting motion. It should now slip off without ripping your skin to shreds.
6. Stop blisters from forming: You can help prevent blisters forming by rubbing Vaseline into the area where your feet rub on the inside of your shoe. Particularly useful if you’re breaking in a new pair… or an avid runner.
7. Give your car a healthy shine: Dab a little Vaseline onto a dry, clean cloth and use it to give your car a wax. It’ll give it a nice shine and also helps stave off rust.